Monday, March 21, 2022

MMGM: The Barren Grounds, by David Alexander Robertson

I am a sucker for foster child/found family stories—don't know why; I just can't stand the thought of any child not feeling love and belonging. So The Barren Grounds drew me in right away when it introduced Morgan in her new foster family. They are trying so hard to welcome her and honour her aboriginal heritage, and she is rude and prickly because she can't let herself get hurt again. 

The most important relationship in the story is between Morgan and her younger foster brother Eli, whom she both sympathizes with and resents because he at least has memories of his family and his culture, whereas she was given away when she was a baby. Eli's skill at drawing is the magic that creates a portal in the attic, and Morgan has to go through the portal to find Eli and bring him home.

Found family, siblings and portal fantasies are all buttons for me, and the snowy icing on the cake was the wintery setting: in Winnipeg in the real world, and in the trapped-in-winter land of Aski. Robertson's depiction of a winter forest landscape rang very true and familiar to me. This is such a Canadian book! (I was only annoyed at Morgan not wearing enough clothes when she went through the portal: she would know how to dress better than that!)(At least she remembered her mitts.)

The homage to Narnia is genuine, and the integration of aboriginal mythology and values into a Lion Witch and Wardrobe retelling felt both fresh and satisfying. The environmental message (and the metaphor of colonialization) is clear but not, I think, too didactic.

The story itself is fast-paced and fun, a fairly simple adventure quest with enjoyable banter and realistic character development. I liked how Eli's and Morgan's different strengths were acknowledged, and I loved the bickering between Ochek and Arik. (I am embarrassed to be a Canadian who did not know there was such an animal as a fisher: kind of like a really large weasel. You would think I would have learned about them at some point!)

This is a strong beginning to a middle-grade fantasy series for any readers who like wilderness adventures and portal stories, and a book that should become a Canadian classic.

By Douglas H. Domedion - https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/niagara-gazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/dc/1dcd1294-0601-5f2d-85e8-70e12364647e/5e62c0efb7979.image.jpg, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=107662510


For more great Marvelous Middle Grade Monday reads, check out Greg Pattridge's blog, Always in the Middle



7 comments:

  1. I like portal stories. I haven't read one set in Canada. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for featuring it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it during winter - the best time for such a story. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but if you consider it a Canadian Classic, I may have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy stories set in Canada and this one sounds like a winner. The characters and portal story line have me searching for a copy to read this year. Thanks for the great review and for featuring it on MMGM today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a good story, one to watch out for! Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book is packed with themes. Like you, I love good foster stories. And I love that this one includes some aboriginal mythology. Sounds like a great book to escape into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I am putting this one on my list. You make it sound very tempting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete