Wednesday, April 2, 2014

National Poetry Month: let's make book spine poems!

I love poetry. Not all poetry. Some poetry I hate. A lot of it I just don't get. But the poems I like, I really, really like and they are as necessary to my life as bread, or chocolate.

If you don't think you like poetry, I command you to go read Love That Dog. Right now. It will take you about 20 minutes.

Okay. Now that we're on the same page, let's talk about book spine poems, because what a fun, awesome thing to do to celebrate National Poetry Month!

I could explain what a book spine poem is, but it's easier just to show you. Here's one by librarian and blogger extraordinare Travis Jonker (who I got the idea from):


Go to Travis Jonker's blog to get a whole heap more examples.

I'm going to try making one just from the books on my shelves at home; then maybe I'll go to the library and try one there.

Oh, this is fun! And easy: the poems just make themselves.

 
The search for delicious
Things not seen
The secret garden
The song of the quarkbeast
Banjo of destiny



Alice, I think
A little princess
Reckless
The last dragonslayer
The diary of a young girl


Igraine the Brave
Trapped!
Over sea, under stone,
A wrinkle in time:
The madness underneath.
The dark is rising.







Okay, now it's your turn! Post some on your blog and I'll link to it, or send me photos and I'll post them sometime in April. (kimaippersbach at gmail dot com)

The world needs more poetry!

No comments:

Post a Comment