Friday, April 19, 2024

A Year's Worth of Reading

Time to talk about books again! It's not that I haven't been reading at all this past year, but other areas of my life have gotten a lot busier (as often happens when you say yes to opportunities!). April is an odd time to do a Reading Roundup, but time is arbitrary, and here we are. (This is mostly for my own benefit, anyway.) Divided into star ratings but otherwise in no particular order. (I should point out that most of these are adult books; I was in a bit of a children's lit slump the past year, but I am currently rectifying that: stay tuned!)


5 Star Reads (Loved to pieces, would read again)

Scholomance series, Naomi Novik. Y'all were right, it's awsome!

Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Garmus. Worth the hype.

Begin Again, When You Get the Chance, Tweet Cute, by Emma Lord. All her romances are the best.



4 Star Reads (Really enjoyed, might read again, will seek out this author)

The Undertaking of Hart and Mercy, Megan Bannan. Unique and fun, with heart (ha ha).

Jennifer Crusie: a whole bunch of her rom-coms; I just love them all.

Olivia Atwater: Regency and Victorian Fairy Tales. I think I've read them all now. They're so much fun!

Brandon Sanderson: The Way of Kings, Tress of the Emerald Sea. Figured I should see what he's all about. Imaginative world-building and propulsive plots—I'll read more.

Map of the Otherlands, Heather Fawcett. A worthy sequel to Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Fairies.

When Women Were Dragons, Kelly Barnhill. Fascinating, angry.

Whispering Woods, Sharon Shinn. Latest in her Elemental Blessings series, which I love.

Kate Stradling: Deathmark, Maid and Minstrel. Fairy tale retellings. I love everything she writes.

Happy City, Charles Montgomery. The one non-fiction on my list. Urban design fascinates me.

Thornhedge, T. Kingfisher. Sleeping beauty remix. Loved the main character.

Gothel and the Maiden Prince, W. R. Gingell. Rapunzel remix, similar in feeling to Thornhedge. My first but not my last by this author.

Annette Marie: The Guild Codex series. Signed up for Kindle Unlimited to get access to the dozens of books in this entertaining urban fantasy series. Bonus: set in Vancouver! Very fun and readable.



3 Star Books (Enjoyed, might read more by the author)

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, V. E. Schwab. Interesting and well-written.

The Kiss Quotient, Helen Hoang

The Bodyguard, Karen Center

Ali Hazelwood: Love on the Brain, The Love Hypothesis

Little Thieves, Margaret Owen




1 comment:

  1. I love the way you set up this roundup. I would like to do more posts in this lane, but I'm never sure how to structure them. This is a good idea. When Women Were Dragons is on my TBR. I will hopefully listen to it as an audiobook pretty soon. I loved Begin Again and You Have a Match, too!

    ReplyDelete