Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Loading my phone with books before a trip!

Heading to France this Friday (bad time to be heading to France, but we didn't know that when we booked the trip, did we!), so, assuming the plane and trains aren't on strike, I've been looking for things to have available to read.

Here's what I've got on Libby:

The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (2014): short stories are a good bet when you're hanging about at airports and train stations. And who knows: maybe I'll discover a new author I like!

The Beekeeper's Apprentice, or, the Segregation of the Queen, by Laurie R. King. This one's an audiobook. Always good to have something to listen to, though I usually pick something I think will be boring so it puts me to sleep on the plane (not that I can sleep on the plane, but one lives in hope). This doesn't sound boring: it's a teenage detective who befriends an old Sherlock Holmes, first in a series. 

My Latest Grievance, by Elinor Lipman. She's a contemporary fiction author that's been recommended to me, and this was the only book of hers available to borrow. So we'll see if I like it. Not a romance: sounds like a coming-of-age, parent-daughter relationship kind of book.

Castles in Their Bones, by Laura Sebastian. This was on my Goodreads TBR and it was available. I can't remember why it's on my TBR; it sounds like a fairly typical YA fantasy with a very typical cover. Princessess, saving the kingdom, assassinations I think. The great thing about library books is that if you don't like them you can just give them back! 

Foreigner, by C. J. Cherryh. This isn't the first time I've borrowed this book for a trip, and a trip is probably not the time to be getting into this long and much-loved sci-fi series, because apparently it's slow to get started, and I'm slightly intimidated by it. But I do want to read it! So here it is. Maybe a three-hour train ride will be the right time to dive in. (Assuming the trains are running! I hope the trains are running next week!)

Republic of Dirt, by Susan Juby. This is the sequel to the hilariously funny Woefield Poultry Collective. Girl inherits a farm on an island and has to figure out farming, and islanders, and life in general. Juby is a delight, and I'm sure this one will get read.

A Master of Djinn, by P. Djèli Clark. I thought I had started this one and given up, but when I opened the sample I didn't recognize the scene, so maybe I'm mixing it up with another book about Djinn. This one comes highly recommended by many, and sounds pretty cool.

Libby has a seven-book limit, so until I return one of those, that's all I can have. (My hold on Nicola Griffiths' Spear came up but I had to delay delivery. Not sure that one is a travel read, anyway.)

On my Kindle, here are the new books I've purchased:

Chalice, by Robin McKinley. Read this decades ago and figured it was time to read it again. I remember it being slow and quiet, so it might be the book to get me to sleep!

Dragon Whisperer, by Vanessa Ricci-Thode. An alternate world with cool-sounding elemental magic and complicated human-dragon relationships. I supported her Kickstarter, so I will ultimately get three more books in the series. Love the covers.

Strong Wine, by A. J. Demas. Third in the Sword Dance series, the sweetest imaginable romance between a retired soldier and a dancer in an imaginary ancient-Mediterranean-style world.

Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City, by K. J. Parker, which I purchased on the strength of a short story in the above-mentioned sci-fi anthology, and because it's been on my TBR for a while and it doesn't look like my libraries will ever get it. (Is it self-published? Not sure.) Dry humour and an unconventional hero (an engineer). Sounds fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment